Articles and References
Myron D. (Mike) Stolte is founder and president of Asset Allocation
Incorporated. The company has provided evaluation services to the
sponsors of large pension plans, foundations and endowments since
1980. It is also retained for special projects by Big Four accounting
firms and other consultants.
Stolte served as Manager, Pension Fund Analysis, at 3M Company
during the 1970s. He created the company's internal performance
measurement and evaluation program, reported to senior management,
and presented investment results and policy recommendations to the
board of directors.
His career path represents an unusual combination of experiences
in the four interrelated quadrants of the investment management
- The investment banker's position.
- The portfolio manager's position.
- The plan sponsor's position.
- The independent consultant's position.
Stolte has a BSC degree in accounting from the University of Iowa
and a MBA from the University of Minnesota, where he was also an
instructor in financial mathematics.
His 1981 article in the Harvard Business Review introduced
the concept of performance attribution at the plan sponsor level.
Articles and References:
Published articles written by Stolte include:
- "Overseeing Retirement Funds", Internal Auditor,
Vol. LIX:III (June 2002), pp. 57-59.
- "Retirement Fund Management: Strengthening the Board's Oversight
Position", Director's Monthly, Vol. 25, No. 5 (May 2001),
pp. 1-6. (click here
to download a copy)
- "Pension Fund Management: A Controller's Perspective", Management
Accounting, Vol. LXXV, No 11 (May 1994),
- "That SAG in Your Pension Fund: Who's Managing It?", Pensions
& Investment Age (October 25, 1982).
- "Pension Plan Sponsors: Monitor Yourselves", Harvard Business
Review, Vol. 59, No. 2 (March/April 1981),
pp. 136 -143.
Copies of these articles and others are available by request.
Stolte's analytical methods have been included in Association for
Investment Management and Research (AIMR) study guides for Certified
Financial Analysts and in such reference books as:
- Maginn, John L. and Tuttle, Donald L., Managing Investment
Portfolios, (Boston: Warren, Gorham & Lamont, 1983).
- Simon, W. Scott, The Prudent Investor Act: A Guide to Understanding,
(Camarillo, CA: Namborn Publishing Co., 2002).